- A. Personal statement.
My research is focused in studying enzymatic and non-enzymatic lipid oxidation, in particular those derived from arachidonic acid (AA). Analysis involve different methodologies while in the last years our focus is the post-traslational modifications of proteins by AA-derived nitrated products (nitroarachidonic acid, NO2-AA) as well as the lipidomic studies from biological samples by LC-MS/MS. I have chemically characterized different isomers of NO2-AA, how these products affect the activation of different cell types, e.g. platelets and macrophages as well as the mechanism of inhibition of the AA-metabolizing enzyme cyclooxygenase (COX). More recently we were focused in the modulation of the production of reactive oxygen species by NADPH oxidase (NOX) by the nitrated products, the mechanism of reaction involved and in particular the effects of NO2-AA on Protein Disulfide Isomerase (PDI), a protein necessary for NOX activation at the cell membrane. NO2-AA is able to reversible covalent modify Cys residues at the active site of the protein, inhibiting it and affecting reactive species formation. All these studies involved mass spectrometry and LC-MS/MS studies. Overall, during the last 10 years I reached experience in measuring reactive species formation in different cell types, analyzing the mechanisms of action of lipid derived products leading to this effect. In adddtion, and of importance for this proposal, we gained experience in using Mass Spectrometry for lipid analysis and their derived effects. At this moment, lipidomic studies are being applied in different cell and animal models to correlate the levels of lipid-derived products with the onset, progression and modulation of diseases or drug treatments.
- B. Positions and Honors.
Positions and Employment
2016 – Adjunct Vistant Professor of Physiological Department, Federal University of Maranhao, Sao Luis, Maranhao-Brazil
2013 – Adjunct Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, University of Pittsburgh
2010-date Associate Professor of Biochemistry, Department of Biochemistry-School of Medicine, Universidad de la República, Montevideo, Uruguay
2002 -2010 Assistant Professor of Biochemistry, Department of Biochemistry-School of Medicine, Universidad de la República, Montevideo, Uruguay
1998-2002 Instructor of Biochemistry, Department of Biochemistry-School of Medicine, Universidad de la
República, Montevideo, Uruguay
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
2014- Council member of the program of postgraduate studies in Uruguay (PEDECIBA)
2011-2013 President of the Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (SBBM)-Uruguay
2009-2011 Council Member, Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (SBBM)-Uruguay
2007 Member of the Local Organizing Committee of the Free Radicals meeting in Montevideo
2015 Roberto Caldeyro Barcia Award in Biology, PEDECIBA, Uruguay
2013 Fellowship of the National Investigators System- Education Ministry, Uruguay
2012 Fellowship of the IUBMB-Young Scientist Program
2011 Fellowship of the National Investigators System- Education Ministry, Uruguay
2011 Research Mini-Fellowship of the SFRBM, USA
2010 Travel Award- 17th Annual Meeting of the SFRBM, USA
2009 Fellowship of the National Investigators System- Education Ministry, Uruguay
2008-date Researcher of Basic Sciences Development Program-PEDECIBA (Biology and Chemistry), Uruguay
2009 Roberto Caldeyro Barcia Award, PEDECIBA-PNUD, Uruguay
2008 EAS Travel Grant, European Atherosclerosis Society
2007 Young Investigator Award, V Meeting of the SFRBM- South American Group and V International Conference on Peroxynitrite and Reactive Nitrogen Species, Uruguay
2007 XI Prize Young Talent Award in Life Sciences, 37th Meeting of the SBBq-10th IUBMB Conference, Brazil
2006 Award of the Uruguayan Society of Biosciences for Young Scientists
2005 Young Investigator Award, IV Meeting of the South American Group of the SFRBM- Brazil
2004 Young Investigator Award – University of Alabama, 12th Biennial Meeting of the SFRI- Argentina
2004 Fellowship of the Fondo Nacional de Investigadores-Ministerio de Educación y Cultura, Uruguay
2004 Ph.D Research fellowship of PEDECIBA-School of Chemistry, Uruguay
2002 Travel Award- 9th Annual Meeting of The Oxygen Society, USA
2001 M.Sc. Research fellowship of PEDECIBA-School of Chemistry, Uruguay
Honors and Professional Memberships
PEDECIBA Researcher (Program for the Development of Basic Sciences; PEDECIBA-Uruguay). (since 2008)
Investigator, Level 1. National Research System, Uruguay (since 2008)
Investigator, Level 1. National Research Fund, Ministerio de Educación y Cultura, Uruguay (2004)
- C. Peer-reviewed publications (in chronological order, in the last 5 years).
- ANDRÉS TROSTCHANSKY; HOMERO RUBBO. Anti-inflammatory signaling actions of electrophilic nitro-arachidonic acid in vascular cells and astrocytes. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, v.: 617, p.: 155 – 161, 2017.
- INéS MARMISOLLE; JENNYFER MARTíNEZ; JIE LIU; MAURICIO MASTROGIOVANNI; MARíA M. FERGUSSON; ILSA I. ROVIRA; LAURA CASTRO; ANDRÉS TROSTCHANSKY; MARíA MORENO; LIU CAO; TOREN FINKEL; CELIA QUIJANO. Reciprocal regulation of acetyl-CoA carboxylase 1 and senescence in human fibroblasts involves oxidant mediated p38 MAPK activation. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, v.: 613, p.: 12 – 22, 2017.
- H. R. SOUSA; R. S. GASPAR; E. M. L. SENA; SAMIRA ABDALLA DA SILVA; J. L. DE L. FONTELLES; T. L. S. ARAúJO; MAURICIO MASTROGIOVANNI; D. M. FRIES; A.P.S. AZEVEDO- SANTOS; FRANCISCO LAURINDO; ANDRÉS TROSTCHANSKY; ANTONIO MARCUS DE ANDRADE PAES. Novel antiplatelet role for a protein disulfide isomerase-targeted peptide: Evidence of covalent binding to C-terminal CGHC redox motif. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, v.: 15 4, p.: 774 – 784, 2017.
- LUCíA GONZáLEZ-PERILLI; MAURICIO MASTROGIOVANNI; DENISE DE CASTRO FERNANDES; HOMERO RUBBO; FRANCISCO LAURINDO; ANDRÉS TROSTCHANSKY. Nitroarachidonic acid (NO2-AA) inhibits Protein Disulfide Isomerase (PDI) through reversible covalent adduct formation with critical cysteines. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta-General Subjects, v.: 1861, p.: 1131 – 1139, 2017.
- CELIA QUIJANO; LAURA CASTRO; MADIA TRUJILLO; ANDRÉS TROSTCHANSKY. Interplay between oxidant species and energy metabolism. Redox Biology, v.: 8, p.: 28 – 42, 2016
- BEATRIZ SANCHEZ-CALVO; ADRIANA M. CASSINA; NATALIA RíOS; A. GONZALO PELUFFO; JOSÉ BOGGIA; RAFAEL RADI; HOMERO RUBBO; ANDRÉS TROSTCHANSKY. Nitro-Arachidonic Acid Prevents Angiotensin II-Induced Mitochondrial Dysfunction in a Cell Line of Kidney Proximal Tubular Cells. PLoS ONE, v.: 11 3, 2016.
- PABLO DIAZ-AMARILLA*; ERNESTO MIQUEL*; ANDRÉS TROSTCHANSKY*; EMILIANO TRIAS; ANA M. FERREIRA; BRUCE A. FREEMAN; PATRICIA CASSINA; LUIS BARBEITO; MARCELO VARGAS; HOMERO RUBBO. Electrophilic nitro-fatty acids prevent astrocyte-mediated toxicity to motor neurons in a cell model of familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis via nuclear factor erythroid 2- related factor activation.. Free Radical Biology and Medicine, v.: 95, p.: 112 – 120, 2016 *Pablo Diaz-Amarilla, Ernesto Miquel y Andrés Trostchansky equally contributed to the work.
- RENATO GASPAR SOARES; ANDRÉS TROSTCHANSKY; ANTONIO MARCUS DE ANDRADE PAES. Potential role of protein disulfide isomerase in metabolic syndrome-derived platelet hyperactivity. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, v.: 2016, 2016.
- MARCO FAZZARI*; ANDRÉS TROSTCHANSKY*; FRANCISCO J. SCHOPFER; SONIA SALVATORE; BEATRIZ SANCHEZ-CALVO; DARIO VITTURI; RAQUEL VALDERRAMA; JUAN B. BARROSO; RAFAEL RADI; HOMERO RUBBO. Olives and Olive Oil are Sources of Electrophilic Fatty Acid Nitroalkenes. PLoS ONE, v.: 9 1, 2014 * Andres Trostchansky y Marco Fazzari equally contributed to the work.
- ANDRÉS TROSTCHANSKY; LUCÍA BONILLA; LUCÍA GONZALEZ; HOMERO RUBBO. Nitro-fatty acids: Formation, Redox Signaling and Therapeutic Potential . Antioxidants & redox signaling, v.: 19 11, p.: 1257 – 1265, 2013.
- LUCÍA GONZALEZ; MARÍA N. ALVAREZ; CAROLINA PROLO; RAFAEL RADI; HOMERO RUBBO; ANDRÉS TROSTCHANSKY. Nitroarachidonic acid prevents NADPH oxidase assembly and superoxide radical production in activated macrophages.. Free Radical Biology and Medicine, v.: 58, p.: 126 – 133, 2013.
- LUCÍA BONILLA; VALERIE B. O´DONNELL; STEPHEN CLARK; HOMERO RUBBO; ANDRÉS TROSTCHANSKY. Regulation of protein kinase C by nitroarachidonic acid: Impact on human platelet activation. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, v.: 533, p.: 55 – 61, 2013.
Book chapters in the last 5 years (in chronological order)
- HOMERO RUBBO; LUCÍA GONZALEZ; MAURICIO MASTROGIOVANNI; BEATRIZ SANCHEZ CALVO; ANDRÉS TROSTCHANSKY. Nitro-arachidonic acid:downstream signaling and therapeutics , 2016.BIOCHEMISTRY OF OXIDATIVE STRESS. Physiopathology and Clinical Aspects. v.: 1 , 1 , 16, p.: 79 – 93. Editors: Ricardo J. Gelpi, Alberto Boveris and Juan J. Poderoso, Editorial: Springer , Ney York.
- BRUCE A. FREEMAN; MICHAELA PEKAROVA; HOMERO RUBBO; ANDRÉS TROSTCHANSKY. Electrophilic Nitro-Fatty Acids: Nitric Oxide and Nitrite-Derived Metabolic and Inflammatory Signaling Mediator , 2016. Nitric Oxide Biology and Pathology. v.: 3, Editor: Loui Ignarro. Editorial: Elsevier.
- HOMERO RUBBO; ANDRÉS TROSTCHANSKY. Nitro-fatty acids: Detection, characterization and signaling in olives and olive oils , 2013. Role of Nitric Oxide in Plants under Adverse Environmental Conditions.Editors: Dr. M. Nasir Khan; Prof. Firoz Mohammad; Dr. Francisco J. Corpas. Editorial: SPRINGER/ELSEVIER.
- ANDRÉS TROSTCHANSKY; HOMERO RUBBO. Formation of nitrated lipids and their biological relevance , 2013. Lipid Oxidation in Health and Disease. Editorial: Taylor and Francis Publishers , Boca Raton.